Many of us had unpleasant run-ins with music theory through involuntary music lessons as kids but is it actually useful as a studio tool? Maybe. Sometimes. It’s a tool that can help you out of arrangement and production jams. Stuck trying to figure out which chord to play next in a progression? Need to get a bassline that will work with your vocal melody? Theory can help.
In this episode, Ben takes us through the three basic elements of music theory: Tempo, Meter and Key.
You will learn:
- Why theory is becoming more and more important for the DIY bedroom producer
- The definition of music theory – and why Vadim disagrees with it
- How tempo relates to meter
- How common meters dictate “feels” in Western music
- How to use meters to create unique arrangements – and some famous examples
- The basics of keys and how they subdivide the 12 notes in music and allow the creation of a “mood”
- The circle of fifths finally explained in a way that even Vadim can understand and how to use it to help you determine what key a piece of music is in
Where to Find the Guys
Free DIY Recording eBook: https://www.howtorecordyourband.com
Vadim’s Studio Site – Get your FREE test mix today! – https://www.calmfrogrecording.com
Benjamin’s Studio Site – https://www.dreamloudstudio.com
Leave a rating. Be a friend – http://www.getpodcast.reviews/id/1494761702