If you enjoy our podcast, please leave a quick rating. It only takes a minute and it means the world to us.
Have you ever wondered why you can’t just plug your guitar directly into a mixing board? Or why everyone says you’re supposed to match the “ohms” of your amp to the ohms of your speaker cabinet? Or why your guitar sounds so small through a cable that’s 100 feet long?
In this episode, Vadim and Ben talk about impedance – which is at the heart of the questions above. You will learn,
- The first principles explanation of what impedance actually is
- Why impedance mismatch is the origin story of the DI box
- Why matching loads between a tube amp and a speaker cabinet is so important
- Why passive guitar pick-ups can’t handle cable runs as long as active pick-up cables can
- The tonal changes you may experience with an impedance mismatch between your instrument and the input device
- The impedance mismatch that won’t break your amp…and the impedance mismatch that might
- How to start thinking about connecting multiple speaker cabinets to your amp
- Ben’s crazy story of trying to build a wall of bass cabinets in high school. Result? Unsuccessful.
- And more!Where to Find the Guys
The DIY Recording Guys Website
Vadim’s Studio Site – Get your FREE test mix today!
Benjamin’s Studio Site
Leave a rating. Be a friend