If you enjoy our podcast, please leave a quick rating. It only takes a minute and it means the world to us.
We’ve all heard of and used MP3s. But what ARE they and why have them become so ubiquitous? And, if they’re so great, why don’t we use them in ALL of our studio applications?
In this episode you will learn:
- The difference between compressed and lossless audio formats
- Why MP3s are so popular in the age of streaming
- Why we may need to be a little careful about using them in the studio
- How MP3s are made
- What other lossless and lossy audio formats are common
- What it sounds like when sample rate and bit depth are reduced too far (and why you can sometimes use this to your advantage)
- How to decide on audio format when preparing to release music